- The Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program partners with the military to provide free tax preparation to service members and their families at bases in the USA and around the world.
- If a service member prepares their own return the IRS provides free electronic filing using the IRS Free File program.
- Combat pay is partly or fully tax free.
- Service members stationed abroad have until June 15th to file their federal income tax return. Those serving in a combat zone have even longer to file their returns. They have until 180 days after they leave the combat zone to file.
- Eligible unreimbursed moving expenses are deductible.
- Reservists whose duties take them more than 100 miles from home can deduct their unreimbursed travel expenses even if they don’t itemize their deductions.
- Low and moderate income service members often qualify for additional tax benefits such the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- Low and moderate income service members who contribute to an IRA can often claim the retirement savings contributions credit.
Monday, May 18, 2015
Sandra G. Johnson, CPA, EA, CFE is President of Sandra G. Johnson, CPA, P.C., an accounting and tax practice located in Bellmore, NY.
Sandy is also the Past President of the National Conference of CPA Practitioners. She is an active member of the NYS Society of CPAs and a member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. Sandy is Past President of the Chamber of Commerce of the Bellmores and Past President of the Long Island Center for Business and Professional Women.
Sandy is a Certified Public Accountant, licensed in the state of New York, an Enrolled Agent with the Internal Revenue Service and a Certified Fraud Examiner. She is the recipient of the Town of Hempstead Pathfinder Award, the NYS Assembly Women of Distinction Award, winner of the LI Press Best of Long Island and the recipient of the Nassau Council of Chambers of Commerce Small Businessperson of the Year award.
Sandy is a former college professor and lectures around the country on the following topics:
· Starting Your Own Business
· Developing a Strategic Business Plan
· Divorce Taxation
· How to Market on the Internet
· Networking 101
· Year-end Tax Tips
· Show Me the Money! Improving Your Company’s Cash Flow
· Become a Rainmaker
· Bookkeeping Basics
· And more…